UPDATE: WEEK OF JUNE 29-July 1
Lexington Two continues to work diligently on plans for the safe return of students and staff to school this fall.
This week, we completed our Lexington Two employee survey to get input on reopening schools. This follows our survey a couple of weeks ago with Lexington Two families. This information, along with feedback from a range of other stakeholders, will be key as we finalize plans.
Next week, we will launch a dedicated section on our district website to provide information about the district's re-entry plans, as details become available. We will share the link to that section next week. Information will be updated and shared with families online and through our websites, social media and automated communications systems.
We continue to monitor health and safety guidance from a variety of organizations, among them the CDC, DHEC and the SC Department of Education, in order to plan for the safest environment possible within our schools. Here are a few reports we’ve been reviewing this week, with links or attachments for you to view them, too:
- AccelerateED final task force report, shared by the SC Department of Education: http://dedicationtoeducation.com/
- A recommendation in the task force report was the SC Department of Education working with SC DHEC on a metrics chart per 100,000 people for determining low, medium and high spread conditions of COVID-19 cases for district planning purposes. The most recent report of a 2-week window on these numbers is attached at the bottom of this story.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics released its report, “Planning Considerations: Guidance for School Re-entry,” which includes recommendations about face coverings, social distancing (3 feet apart), good hygiene habits, teacher rotations and more. Find the report here: https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/
We expect to share reopening plans for Lexington Two families this month. Thank you for your continued patience and support as we work to provide high quality instruction in the safest environment possible.
Dr. William B. James Jr.
Summer athletics activities suspended out of an abundance of caution: https://www.lex2.org/apps/news/article/1251642
Volunteer programs for fall session on hold: https://www.lex2.org/apps/news/article/1244985
Read Lexington Two's Considerations for Reopening Schools report presented to the Board of Trustees, attached below
UPDATE: WEEK OF JUNE 22-JUNE 25
Planning is well under way for the 2020-21 school year. COVID-19 is presenting a number of challenges, and our commitment to a safe learning environment for students and employees means school will look much different this fall.
(READ: Lexington Two's Considerations for Reopening Schools report, attached below)
Among topics we're discussing:
- Models for the school day, from traditional 5-day in-person instruction to blended 2-day in-person/3-day virtually, to a full-time virtual academy
- Accessible learning for all students, across all models
- Bus and car transportation and schedules
- Start/end times for the school day
- Increased cleaning protocols and safety equipment
- Modified classroom setups and operations to maximize social distancing
- “Traffic management” for front offices, cafeterias, libraries, hallways, and other multi-use areas
We are seeking feedback from stakeholders. We recently completed surveys with our families and employees. We will use this information -- along with guidance from CDC, DHEC and the Department of Education -- as we shape plans for the reopening of our schools. We expect to announce plans in July and will communicate with families through our schools, websites, social media and traditional media sources.
We will continue to monitor current and available data about COVID-19 as we look to the fall. Thank you for your support, and expect to hear more from us in coming weeks.
Dr. William B. James Jr.