Applications available online http://www.mcecoop.com/scholarships.aspx
Mid-Carolina Electric Cooperative
Touchstone Energy Scholarship
Mid-Carolina Electric Cooperative provides seven-$1,000 scholarships to students in local school districts. Special consideration is given to financial need, extracurricular school activities, community involvement, recommendations and the students’ personal analysis (see judging criteria below).
Students may apply for this scholarship if:
1. they attend one of the following South Carolina Schools: Irmo, Dutch Fork, Chapin, Saluda, Batesburg-Leesville, Lexington, White Knoll, Pelion, Gilbert or Airport; or
2. the student attends another school in South Carolina, but their primary residence receives electricity from Mid-Carolina Electric Cooperative.
a. The Touchstone Energy/ Spirit of Cooperation Scholarship is intended to recognize students who:
1. need financial assistance
2. are high school seniors
3. have a solid B grade average
4. are active in service to others
5. are goal oriented with a solid educational plan for the future
6. will NOT receive numerous or full scholarships and grants.
b. Family members (son, daughter, grandchild, niece, or nephew) of Mid-Carolina Electric employees or board members are not eligible.
II. Application Process
a. Applications should be returned to Mid-Carolina Electric offices by: February 17, 2012.
b. If chosen as a semi-finalist, a personal interview is required. Interviews will be conducted only on March 8, beginning at 1:30 p.m. (Note: Time of day requests are based on a first-come-first-serve basis.)
a. Winners are asked to attend Mid-Carolina’s annual meeting on April 13, 2012 at Lexington High School.
a. The Touchstone Energy/Spirit of Cooperation Scholarship is intended to recognize those students who meet the above qualifications. The judges’ selections are based as follows:
1. Financial need 40 points
2. Extracurricular activities 35 points
3. Community involvement 15 points
4. Personal Analysis and Interview 10 points